Saturday 20 June 2009

LEL Start

Yesterday, I rode the first 100km of LEL and back. Couldn't resist taking this picture of course. The first stop at Gamlingay is on Stocks Lane.

If the weather on LEL is going to be like yesterday, it will be perfect: slightly overcast with the sun coming through every now and again.

It was a really good trial run. Having got used to reading the routesheet, which is in a different format from other Audaxes, will be helpful. I am now going to spend time reformatting the pages: add alternate row shading, highlight 'immediate left/rights', highlight '1st exit at second roundabout'.... all the things which catch you out when you get tired (or even not so tired!). Having been at the Lea Valley Youth Hostel and ridden the first 100km will help to settle my nerves on the day.

I was able to do this trial run with the help of our ex-neighbours, the Nesbitts, who have moved to Barnet, East London. I stayed with them on the Friday and set off early on Saturday. Ali has offered to take me to the LEL start and even pick me up from the end. That is such a wonderful offer!! And will make a world of difference.

Do you remember the Bryan Chapman Memorial ride report BCM Ride Report, where I wrote about an angel who tapped me on the arm and said he was going to make sure I'd make it to the end? This person is known to the Nesbitts because he was their architect for their house conversion. Now I can't wait to see Mel again and have a good natter with him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pleased you had a comfortable bikeride, and glad your ex neighbours are so kind to you.
We will light a candle every day of LEL, so your garding angle will be with you all the time.
Meim and peip

Kris said...

LEL is getting really near now,the mental prep is going well.Good advice: when it is windy, ride behind a big bloke!!